Sunday, August 14, 2005

We are all created equal

Via the excellent Digby at Hullabaloo, comes a link to this article:

President Bush ... on Saturday defended his decision not to meet with the grieving mom of a soldier killed in Iraq. [...]

"... whether it be here or in Washington or anywhere else, there's somebody who has got something to say to the president, that's part of the job," Bush said on the ranch. "And I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say."

"But," he added, "I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life."

This is just a wild guess on my part, but I'm thinking that it was important to Casey Sheehan to go on with his life, too. At least he can now rest easy knowing that he has sacrificed his life in the noble cause of bringing Iraq & Iran together.

It's just beyond insensitive that Mrs. Sheehan doesn't see how much she's bothering Bush by upsetting his vacation like this. The man has his life to get on with:


The comments came prior to a bike ride on the ranch with journalists and aides. [...]
In addition to the two-hour bike ride, Bush's Saturday schedule included an evening Little League Baseball playoff game, a lunch meeting with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, a nap, some fishing and some reading.
It is obvious that fitting in Mrs. Sheehan into his busy schedule was too much to ask.

"I think the people want the president to be in a position to make good, crisp decisions and to stay healthy," he said when asked about bike riding while a grieving mom wanted to speak with him.
It'd sure make a nice change to have a president that makes good decisions. For instance, if Bush had made the decision to meet with Mrs. Sheehan when she first showed up in Crawford, then all the subsequent hoohaa simply would not have happened. Mrs. Sheehan would have asked her questions, gotten the usual delusional blather about noble causes and making the US safer. She would have been dis-satisfied with these answers (everyone but the right-wing cultists blinded by their ideology and the neutered American media would be dis-satisfied with these answers) but honor would have been served. And it all would have gone away. That Bush cannot do this speaks very poorly of him as a "leader," a "thinker" and even more poorly of his non-existent personal courage.

"What did you do in the war Daddy?"

"I hid out on the ranch and went fishing. Um. I took naps. I went to ball games. I read My Pet Goat ... it was hard work..."


No comments: