Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A-C-L-You

I put a sticker on my front door today. I'm not one who goes in much for such displays, ordinarily, but this one was different. It declares, in large, bold letters --

I REFUSE TO SURRENDER MY FREEDOM

It came in a fundraising mailing from the American Civil Liberties Union, an organization of which I'm a card-carrying member. Well, not literally card-carrying -- I have the card stuck to my refrigerator with a magnet. But nonetheless, I have credentials in this organization and am a whole-souled supporter of its goals.

The ACLU tends to get bad press on both sides of the political aisle -- and I guess that's a sign they're doing their job. Anyone can take a stand when it isn't controversial, but these days real civil libertarianism is a deeply threatened cause -- and it takes guts, quite honestly, to be willing to take that stand.

I don't think of myself as an especially gutsy person, not really. But I have a line, and this administration has crossed that line. So I've taken my stand with the ACLU, I'm displaying my views for the world to see -- and I guess when the jackbooted thugs come around to round us malcontents up, the sticker on my door will show them just where I am.

No comments: